To our dedicated and valued Home Cook Heroes:
Gift of Life Family House is taking necessary precautions to promote the safety and well-being of our guests.
We are excited to announce that starting Monday, July 12th until October 31st, we will be offering an additional option for groups to prepare food on our outdoor patio.
Brunch, baking, and dinner volunteer groups are asked to consider the following options to support a meal date:
- Outdoor Meal Prep (18 years or older)
- Groups of 3 or less.
- Groups will have access to a propane grill and a three-burner propane stove.
- Given the limited cooking space and supplies, we strongly recommend you prepare side dishes and desserts at home.
- At this time, we are still limiting indoor areas to volunteers, though your group will have access to a sink and restroom.
- We will assign a staff member to you during your visit. They will assist with getting your group whatever you may need from cooking utensils to pots and pans.
- For everyone’s safety, Family House staff will continue to serve the meal, and groups are kindly asked to leave after meal preparation is finished.
- For more information, please call the Front Desk at (267) 546-9800
- Drop off baked goods or prepared meals
- Make a monetary donation to support the cost of a meal facilitated by Family House staff
- Arrange for catering with our Front Desk staff by calling (267) 546-9800
- Donate a gift card (VISA/ACME/TARGET/GRUBHUB) which can be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Gift of Life Family House | Attn: Genevieve Moore | 401 Callowhill St., Philadelphia, PA 19123
- Donate pantry items from our Wish List
- Outdoor Meal Prep (18 years or older)
If you are currently signed up to cook a meal during the month of October, we ask that you speak with a staff member in advance to discuss meal drop off, coordination and standards or to make a monetary donation by calling (267) 546-9800.
We will be assessing this situation as it continues to change. If you have any further question regarding volunteering at the Family House, please contact the front desk at (267) 546-9800.
Thank you for your continued cooperation and understanding.
Home Cook Heroes – The Basics!
Family House meals are served each evening and brunch is served on the weekends. Please read through the information below to learn how to sign up today!
Groups of up to 10 people can provide, prepare (on or off-site) and serve a meal for our transplant families. Please note: If you have children coming to volunteer, we ask that you have one adult for every three children under the age of 18.
Groups may choose to volunteer to prepare and serve:
- Dinner (Every night at 6 pm)
- Brunch (Weekends only at 10 am)
- Baked Goods (Every day during off-peak hours)
Groups are only required to bring the ingredients for the meal. The Family House will provide all the tools you’ll need to prepare the meal in our fully-equipped kitchen complete with four ovens, stoves, microwaves, and sinks. We will also provide plates, platters, utensils, etc.
The amount of servings needed per meal depends on Family House guest occupancy. Group leaders will be notified prior to their scheduled date with an estimated headcount. Based on our current occupancy over the past several weeks, we usually range from 50-60 people per night.
Sign up in 3 simple steps.
- Read over the Meal Program Guidelines for information about the Home Cook Heroes Program.
- Recruit Your Team and Select a Date (see calendar below!)
- Sign-Up Your Group Here Once your group’s date and meal is approved, you will receive confirmation from the Family House either by phone or email.
Check the calendar below for available dates and select one that works for your group. Any date that does not already list your interested opportunity, would be available. We recommend that you have several possible dates in mind when booking your meal.
Have Fun and Be Creative!
The Family House is always in need of more pantry items! While shopping for your meal, please feel free to pick up extra grocery items for our guests or invite your family and friends to contribute!
If you are experiencing any issues or have any questions regarding the Home Cook Heroes program, please contact the Front Desk at (267) 546-9800 between 7AM and 10PM.