To our dedicated and valued Home Cook Heroes:
Gift of Life Family House is continuing to take all necessary precautions to promote the safety and well-being of our guests.
We are excited to announce that at this time we are welcoming groups of eight or less (including children) back inside for all cooking and baking opportunities!
Brunch, baking, and dinner volunteer groups are welcome to support a date in the following ways:
- Indoor Meal Prep
- We are welcoming back groups of 8 or less, including children. Per our previous standards, there must be one adult present for every 3 children under the age of 18.
- All members (including children) must follow our mask & vaccination requirement, as well as our illness policy (noted further below).
- We are still asking all guests, staff and volunteers to remain socially distant from each other.
- At this time, we are not leading tours of the facility and will still be limiting indoor areas to volunteers.
- All desserts are being wrapped individually. Similar to before, your group is not required to wrap the desserts, but it is certainly welcomed if you so wish!
- We will assign a staff member or volunteer to you during your visit. They will assist with showing your group where to find things and assist in all things kitchen related.
- For everyone’s safety, Family House staff will continue to serve the meal.
- For more information, please call the Front Desk at (267) 546-9800
- Drop off baked goods or prepared meals
- Make a monetary donation to support the cost of a meal facilitated by Family House staff
- Arrange for catering with our Front Desk staff by calling (267) 546-9800
- Donate a gift card (VISA/ACME/TARGET/GRUBHUB) which can be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Gift of Life Family House | Attn: Genevieve Moore | 401 Callowhill St., Philadelphia, PA 19123
- Donate pantry items from our Wish List
- Indoor Meal Prep
Home Cook Heroes – The Basics!
Family House meals are served each evening and brunch is served on the weekends. Please read through the information below to learn how to sign up today!
Groups of up to 8 people (including children) can prepare a meal for our transplant families. All volunteers (including children) must abide by the following:
- MASK REQUIREMENT: Anyone wishing to volunteer must wear a CDC approved mask at all times while inside the Family House. (CDC Guide to Masks)
- VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: Anyone participating in this opportunity must be fully vaccinated (including children) – one dose for the Janssen vaccine and two doses for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. When you arrive at the Family House on your scheduled date, staff will ask to see the vaccination cards of all participants and cross-reference them with a government/photo ID. A photo or copy of the vaccination card is acceptable if it is clear enough for staff to confirm information. Temperature checks will also be taken at this time.
- ILLNESS: Many guests at the Family House have weakened immune systems due to their treatment and medication. Exposure to communicable diseases represents a more serious danger to those individuals.
- If any member of your group has displayed signs of illness within the last 14 days, they may not participate in cooking, handling any of the ingredients, or volunteering at the Family House. Examples include signs of infection, flu-like symptoms, rashes, cough, or GI issues.
- If any member of your group regularly interacts with someone (family members, friends, coworkers, etc.) who has traveled internationally within the last 14 days, they may not participate in cooking, handling any of the ingredients, or volunteering at the Family House.
Groups may choose to volunteer to prepare and serve:
- Dinner (Every night at 6 pm)
- Brunch (Weekends only at 10 am)
- Baked Goods (Every day during off-peak hours)
Groups are only required to bring the ingredients for the meal. The Family House will provide all the tools you’ll need to prepare the meal in our fully-equipped kitchen complete with four ovens, stoves, microwaves, and sinks. We will also provide plates, platters, utensils, etc.
The amount of servings needed per meal depends on Family House guest occupancy. Group leaders will be notified prior to their scheduled date with an estimated headcount. Based on our current occupancy over the past several weeks, we usually range from 35-40 people per night.
Sign up in 3 simple steps.
- Read over the Meal Program Guidelines for information about the Home Cook Heroes Program.
- Recruit Your Team and Select a Date (see calendar below!)
- Sign-Up Your Group Here Once your group’s date and meal is approved, you will receive confirmation from the Family House either by phone or email.
Check the calendar below for available dates and select one that works for your group. Any date that does not already list your interested opportunity, would be available. We recommend that you have several possible dates in mind when booking your meal.
Have Fun and Be Creative!
The Family House is always in need of more pantry items! While shopping for your meal, please feel free to pick up extra grocery items for our guests or invite your family and friends to contribute!
If you are experiencing any issues or have any questions regarding the Home Cook Heroes program, please contact the Front Desk at (267) 546-9800 between 7AM and 10PM.